There was a whole lot of discuss lately about whether or not industrial pet food is protected. However what concerning the water we put in our greatest mates’ bowls?
The Flint water disaster continues to today, and the long-term repercussions are but to be seen. Nonetheless, many people fill our canine’ water bowls from the sink with out a second thought. If faucet water might be so harmful for us, how can it presumably be protected for our pets?
Faucet Water Risks
As a lot of you might be in all probability conscious, there’s a LOT extra in our consuming water then H20. Dr. Janice Elenbaas, Founding father of Fluoride Alert and Fortunate Canine Delicacies warns of the hazards of an excessive amount of fluoride in our water.
What folks might not notice is that the additive fluoride (used to stop tooth decay) is artificial.
“It’s a by-product of fluoride gasoline, which is discovered generally used within the aluminum and nuclear industries. It’s a waste product of those industries and comprises harmful heavy metals,” Dr.Elenbaas explains. “Most European international locations have banned the addition of fluoride to the water provide resulting from analysis that exhibits that fluoride ingestion causes a myriad of ailments.”
Identified Flouride Results:
- Osteosarcoma (bone most cancers)
- Weakening of bones and degenerative circumstances like arthritis
- Kidney illness
- Disruption of the endocrine system – affecting the thyroid, adrenals, pancreas, pineal gland and pituitary gland
- Distortion of mind cells and early dementia
- Improve in free radical manufacturing within the mind
If you’re pondering, effectively, there can’t be that a lot in every sip my canine drinks, so what’s the issue? The issue is, like lead, the results are cumulative. AND IRREVERSIBLE. So, consuming a bit fluoride every day CAN trigger issues. And, bear in mind, water is in EVERYTHING.
“The EPA discovered vital ranges of fluoride in eight main manufacturers of pet food. The foremost supply of contamination is present in bone meal and in animal by-products,” Dr. Elenbaas says. “A mean 10 pound pet consuming about 1 cup of pet food a day would devour 5 instances the protected ranges set by the US Division of Well being and Human Providers.”
Heavy Metals & Toxins
Michael Cervin, a water knowledgeable, senior editor at BottledWaterWeb.com, and creator of the e book, “Our World of Water: The Good, the Unhealthy, and The Ugly of Earth’s Most Essential Useful resource,” in addition to a brand new water weblog, ThisWorldofWater.blogspot.com, provides that our water comprises arsenic, lead, uranium and mercury that happen naturally in our soil.
What issues him extra, are the man-made toxins, corresponding to pesticides, herbicides, prescription drugs, and the aforementioned fluoride. These are probably the most widespread contaminants in our public water provide.
Cervin’s analysis has led him to the next regarding info:
- Relating to pesticides, the Environmental Safety Company states: “The well being results of pesticides rely on the kind of pesticide. Some, such because the organophosphates and carbamates, have an effect on the nervous system. Others might irritate the pores and skin or eyes. Some pesticides could also be carcinogens.”
- Prescription drugs are identified to be endocrine disruptors. In response to the Nationwide Institute for Environmental Well being Sciences, “Endocrine disruptors are chemical compounds which will intervene with the physique’s endocrine system and produce antagonistic developmental, reproductive, neurological, and immune results in each people and wildlife.”
- Extra fluoride is each naturally occurring and man-made. About 70% of the general public water provide in America is fluoridated which impacts the meals provide. The Environmental Working Group has suggested canine house owners to, “keep away from canine meals containing hen by-product meal, poultry by-product meal, hen meal, beef and bone meal, turkey meal and lamb meal. These ‘meals’ include floor bone that’s the supply of fluoride that farmed animals accumulate.”
How Large Is The Risk?
Chances are you’ll not assume a lot of it, however most of the illnesses seen in people and pets might be attributable to contaminants in our water (bear in mind Erin Brockovich?).
“Chances are high the quantities of contaminants in our water aren’t all that harmful in small doses,” explains Cervin, “however the rising quantity of them in our water is. There are about 60,000 totally different chemical compounds used within the U.S. presently, but lower than 1% of these are screened for public water testing. I’m involved with lack of funding for correct testing, lack of oversight, and lack of strict regulation (extra to the purpose it’s about enforcement) regarding public water provides, and the huge and rising quantity of poisons in our water.”
Protected Water Suggestions
So how do the specialists recommend you retain your canine protected from water contaminants? DON’T LET THEM DRINK TAP WATER!
Dr. Elenbaas suggests utilizing both distilled water or a reverse osmosis system. For canine meals and different instances you possibly can’t keep away from fluoride-ridden water, she recommends supplementing with apple pectin, turmeric, parsley and cilantro— pure methods to detoxify and take away fluoride from the physique.
What About Water Filters Like Britta or PUR Filter?
Cervin says these mass market filters aren’t at all times what they’re cracked as much as be.
“Many individuals don’t notice that fundamental residence water filters take care of solely fundamental contaminants, usually round 10-15 constituents, and plenty of solely cut back contaminants; they don’t essentially take away all contaminants,” he explains. “There are some excellent however costly filters in the marketplace that may totally (99.99%) take away sure constituents, however it’s worthwhile to do your analysis to search out out which of them. Fundamental filters like Britta are nice for making water style higher and filtering out sediments, however do little else. Different extra complete filters sort out extra substantial contaminants.”
Cervin makes use of bottled water for his personal canine, and suggests others do the identical.
Selecting a Filter
For those who resolve a filter is the correct alternative for your loved ones, Cervin suggests you:
“Ask on your Client Confidence Report/Water High quality Report out of your municipal water provider which can inform you what and the way a lot of one thing is in your faucet water. Then use that data to tailor a house filter for you. It’s essential to buy a filter that’s NSF licensed, and never be model loyal.”
He additionally notes that for those who hike or camp along with your canine and they’re typically enjoying and/or consuming in rivers, lakes, and streams, you might need to get a transportable filter that screens for giardia and cryptosporidium (micro organism from fecal matter typically present in rivers and streams).
Would you like a more healthy & happier canine? Be part of our e mail checklist & we’ll donate 1 meal to a shelter canine in want!